Watch previously recorded LINKS webinars and review the related materials.
Join LINKS to stay in the know about upcoming webinars & events from Resolve to Save Lives and our partners.
11 Mar 2022
LINKS hosted a webinar "Public Food Procurement Mini-Advocacy Fund Grantees: Key Successes and Lessons Learned" on Wednesday, March 30, 2022 from 8am - 9am EDT. Watch the webinar recording here.
This session featured presentations from the five recipients of our Healthy Public Food Procurement mini advocacy grant, each of whom shared lessons learned and project updates.
The following organizations spoke at the webinar; click on the organization's name to learn more about their work:
- Eminence Associates for Social Development (Bangladesh)
- Clinton Health Access Initiative (Eswatini)
- Institute of Leadership and Development (Ghana)
- Zambia Heart and Stroke Foundation (Zambia)
- Dhulikhel Hospital/Kathmandu University Hospital (Nepal)
You can learn more about healthy public food procurement through our #PublicFundsForHealthyFoods resources.
07 Dec 2021
On Tuesday, December 7th, 2021, LINKS hosted a webinar “LINKS Grantee Progress & Achievements”. This webinar featured presentations from three LINKS grantees, who shared accomplishments, challenges, and takeaways from their LINKS projects:
- Dr. Nalika Gunawardena, the National Professional Officer for non communicable diseases and health systems at the World Health Organization Country office Sri Lanka. Manager of LINKS grant, "Project on supporting the Government of Sri Lanka to implement the National Salt Reduction Strategy 2018-2022" (read more here)
- Dr. Epie Njume, Physician. General Supervisor, NCD Prevention and Control Program of the Cameroon Baptist Convention Health Services. Manager of the LINKS grant, "Standardizing the Quality of Hypertension Care in Five Health Facilities within the Cameroon Baptist Convention Health Services" (read more here)
- Dr. Fitzroy J. Henry, Professor of Public Health Nutrition in the College of Health Sciences and the School of Public Health and Health Technology, University of Technology. Manager of the LINKS Grant, "Assessment of Trans Fat in Jamaica Food System" (read more here)
View the presentation slides here.
22 Sep 2021
On Wednesday, September 22nd, 2021, LINKS hosted a webinar featuring guest speaker, Dr. Bruce Neal (Executive Director of The George Institute, Australia). Dr. Neal presented the findings from a new study recently published in the New England Journal of Medicine which highlights the potential of low-sodium salt substitutes as way to reduce sodium consumption. This pioneering study, which was conducted in China for over five years and included 21,000 people, shows that low-sodium salt substitutes save lives and prevent heart attacks and strokes.
View the presentation slides here.
29 Jun 2021
View the presentation.
• Dr. Gregory Wozniak, American Medical Association
• Dr. Gbenga Ogedegbe, New York University, School of Medicine
• Dr. Michael Rakotz, American Medical Association
06 Apr 2021
On Tuesday, April 6th, LINKS hosted a webinar on "Quality Improvement (QI) Strategies and Successes for Hypertension Management" with our esteemed colleagues from Resolve to Save Lives, the WHO India-supported India Hypertension Control Initiative and the National Heart Foundation of Bangladesh who discussed the importance of QI and shared the achievements of the national hypertension programs in India and Bangladesh.
- Dr. Reena Gupta, an Internal Medicine Specialist in San Francisco, California and a Senior Consultant on hypertension control for Resolve to Save Lives.
- Dr. Kiran Durgad, a Senior Cardiovascular Health Officer at the WHO India-supported India Hypertension Control Initiative (IHCI).
- Dr. Sohel Choudhury is a professor and head at the National Heart Foundation Hospital and Research Institute in the Department of Epidemiology and Research in Bangladesh.
View the presentations (of note, we are unable to share the slides from Dr. Kiran Durgad's presentation at this time)
11 Mar 2021
In celebration of World Salt Awareness Week, LINKS, in collaboration with our colleagues at World Action on Salt, Sugar and Health, hosted a webinar on Thursday March 11, 2021 to showcase the many achievements of a few of our grantees.
- Professor Abdelfettah Derouiche, Head of the Human Nutrition Research Unit at the Hassan II University of Casablanca in Morocco, coordinates global action for salt and health in Morocco, as a member of WASSH.
- Professor Suzana Shahar, currently Dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences at University Kebangsaan Malaysia, is involved in the National Strategy to Reduce Salt Intake which has successfully brought together the Ministry of Health, researchers, and the food industry in developing national strategies for reformulation.
- Dr Hamdan Mohamad, a qualified dietitian working with Ministry of Health Malaysia, is part of the team of researchers from WHO Malaysia, MoH Malaysia, and the George Institute who received a LINKS grant for sodium reduction in Malaysia.
- Dr. Nalika Gunawardena, the National Professional Officer for non-communicable diseases and health systems at the World Health Organization Country Office Sri Lanka, is a recipient of a LINKS grant for sodium reduction in Sri Lanka.
Access the slide presentations here.
21 Jan 2021
On Thursday, January 21, 2021, Dr. Tom Frieden, President and CEO of Resolve to Save Lives, interviewed Salt Wars author, Michael Jacobson, discuss how the food industry in the US, along with a group of scientists, successfully fought against government efforts to reduce unhealthy levels of sodium in foods.
18 Jun 2020
In collaboration with the World Heart Federation, LINKS hosted a webinar on the Environmental Determinants of Hypertension presented by Dr. D Prabhakaran, an internationally renowned cardiologist and current Chair of the Science Committee at the World Heart Federation. Dr. Prabhakaran discussed the role of air pollution in increasing blood pressure at the population level and the mechanisms underlying this increase.
View the presentation here.
14 May 2020
On Thursday, May 14th at 9am EDT, Dr. Andrew Moran, Director of Global Hypertension Control at Resolve to Save Lives and the country team leads, Dr. Bhawna Sharma, Cao Ying, Dawit Bisrat and Dr. Emmanuel Agogo shared situation updates from India, China, Ethiopia and Nigeria, respectively.
17 Mar 2020
LINKS members around the world are supporting COVID-19 responses. On Tuesday, March 17th at 11am EDT, Dr. Tom Frieden, President and CEO of Resolve to Save Lives, and Amanda McClelland, Senior Vice President of Resolve to Save Lives’ Prevent Epidemics initiative, provided an update on the coronavirus pandemic and answered questions about role the global cardiovascular community can play in stopping the spread of coronavirus and protecting the health of our patients and communities.
For additional resources and accurate, timely updates, go to:
19 Feb 2020
"Online Training Resources for Hypertension Control Programs" was presented by Dr. Kuni Matsushita, Associate Professor in the Department of Epidemiology at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and Dr. Yenny Rodriguez, a cardiologist and consultant for academic programs on cardiovascular and renal diseases with the Pan American Health Organization. Our speakers covered two free online courses geared toward health care professionals and program implementers working on the frontlines of hypertension care. You can access the recording of the webinar in Spanish here.
Presentation slide decks:
Access the courses:
21 Nov 2019
“Salt substitution and community-wide reductions in BP & hypertension incidence in Peru” was presented by Dr. J. Jaime Miranda, Research Professor at the Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, and Director of the CRONICAS Center of Excellence in Chronic Diseases, both at Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia (UPCH) in Lima, Peru.
Click here to access the recording in Spanish.
24 Sep 2019
“Controlling hypertension: a pathfinder for UHC” was presented by Dr. Tom Frieden, President & CEO of Resolve to Save Lives, Dr. Gbenga Ogedegbe, Professor of Population Health & Medicine and Director of the Center for Healthful Behavior at NYU, and Dr. Myrna Cabotaje, Undersecretary of Health for the Philippines Department of Health.
Click here to view the second LINKS live event.
25 Jul 2019
"Blood pressure device selection in low- and middle-income countries” was presented by Dr. Raj Padwal, Professor of Medicine at the University of Alberta, Canada.
20 Jun 2019
“Policy and Legal Considerations for Regulating TFA” was presented by Yolonda Richardson, Kyra Berasi, and Gianella Severini on behalf of the Global Health Advocacy Incubator. They discussed the legal process and factors for successful TFA policy action, providing a in depth look at regulations in Argentina.
23 May 2019
“The Chilean regulatory experience making healthier food environments” was presented by Dr. Marcela Reyes, Assistant Professor at the Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology, University of Chile. Dr. Reyes discussed the progress Chile has made with the front of pack warning labels, and shared some challenges encountered along the way.
23 Apr 2019
“The role of Hip Hop in community health education: an evidence driven approach" was presented by Dr. Olajide Williams, Associate Professor of Neurology at Columbia University and Founder of Hip Hop Public Health. Dr. Williams discussed the impact of community education on stroke risk and child-to-adult communication as a means of cardiovascular health promotion.
Please note, due to technical difficulties the full slide presentation cannot be viewed on the recording. Please see the slide deck for the entire slide presentation.
21 Mar 2019
“Trans fat elimination: linking global advocacy to local action" was presented by Katie Dain, CEO of the NCD Alliance, Erick Antonio Ochoa, Director at Salud Justa and the representative for public policies at Mexico Salud-Hable, and Lorena Allemandi, Director of Food Policy at the Interamerican Heart Foundation (Fundación InterAmericana del Corazón) of Argentina.
21 Feb 2019
“Choosing the best hypertension treatment protocol - does it really matter?” was co-presented by Dr. Norman Campbell, Professor of Medicine at the University of Calgary and Dr. Prabhdeep Kaur, Deputy Director and Head of NCD Division at the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)- National Institute of Epidemiology, Chennai, India.
01 Feb 2019
The Prince Mahidol Award Conference (PMAC) keynote speech presented by Dr. Tom Frieden.
29 Jan 2019
“Improving global cardiovascular health with three simple and inexpensive, yet underutilized interventions: hypertension control, salt reduction and elimination of artificial trans fat” was presented by Resolve to Save Lives during the Prince Mahidol Award Conference (PMAC) in Bangkok, Thailand.
20 Dec 2018
“Thailand's experience with banning partially-hydrogenated oils (PHOs)” was co-presented by Prof Dr Visith Chavasit from the Institute of Nutrition, Mahidol University and Dr Renu Garg from the WHO Country Office for Thailand.
15 Nov 2018
“The Case for Population-wide Sodium Reduction” was presented by Dr Lawrence (Larry) Appel from the the Johns Hopkins University Medical Institutions and Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.